“3 Simple Steps to a Great Link Portfolio” takes the guesswork out of link building by providing a proven formula for getting your site ranked.
Whether you are just getting started or are struggling to get your rankings where they need to be, this video will walk you through the 3 simple steps to building a great link portfolio.
When you are through watching the video, head to BackLinks.com to get started!
STEP 1: Get Your Keyword List
The first thing you will want to do is get a list of keywords that you want to rank for. We recommend a minimum of 20 words to diversify your anchor text.
You probably already have a list, but if you don’t, there are a few tools you can use.
- You can search for your primary keyword phrase in Google and look at the related terms at the bottom.
- You can use the “google keyword suggestion tool” to find similar keywords.
- Check out SEMRush.com to see what keywords your site already ranks for.
- And, you can look at your Google Analytics and Webmaster Tools to you see where your traffic is already coming from.
Once you have a list of 20 or so keywords, you can get started with your link building.
Step 2: Create a Content Link Ad
BackLinks.com offers 2 of the most effective link types, Standard Sidebar Links and Content Links.
For this tutorial, we are going to focus on Content Links because they are a fantastic way to keep your links relevant and diversify your anchor text.
Creating a Content Link Ad:
- Log into your BackLinks.com control panel and click on “My Content Link Ads” in the side navigation.
- Click the button to add a new Content Link Ad.In the “Content Link Ad Name” field, enter a name for the Content Link Ad. This is just for your reference.
- For the “Content Link Ad Category” field, select the category that best describes this link ad.
- In the “Content Link Ad URL” field, enter your target URL. This is the URL where you want your links to point.
- Click the “Content Link Variant Generator” button.
One of the things that makes Content Links so powerful is variants. Variants are 120 character messages in which your link is embedded. The variants make the content surrounding your link more relevant and diverse.Each time a content link is placed, a different variant is chosen. There are several ways to create variants, but for this tutorial, we are going to use the “Content Link Variant Generator”.
- Copy and paste your keyword list into the keyword field.
- Then, enter some brand names. By brand names, I am referring to the name of your website or company or product. The brand name field is not required, but we have found that links with your brand name are incredibly important when it comes to rankings.
- Now, click the button to generate variants.
The system will automatically generate 12 unique variants. The first 6 variants use your first 6 keywords as the anchor text. The next 3 variants use your first 3 brands as the anchor text. And, the last three use “click here” or some other unbranded anchor text.
Although you can just click the “Add Variant” button to add the variant, we recommend that you read each one and make any changes to make sure it reads correctly.
After you have added all of the variants that you want on this page, you can click the “Generate More Variants” button to generate more options. The next page of variants will pick up where the first page left off. The keyword anchor text variants will start with the 7th keyword in your list and the brand variants will start with the 4th brand. When the system runs through all of your keywords and brands, it will start over at the top of the list.
- Continue generating, editing, and adding variants until you have at least 1 variant for each keyword and brand.
TIP: Even if you only plan on building 10 or 20 links with this target URL, we still recommend creating 30-50 variants so that you have them if you need them.
- When you are finished, click the x to close the window.
- Review your link ad one more time and then click the button to “Save and Exit”.
Step 3: Create a Link Queue
The last step is to create a link queue. Link queues are probably my favorite BackLinks.com feature.
- You can drip a few links out each day to gradually build your link portfolio.
- Links are automatically placed using our “Smart PageRank Distribution Method” so you have more low PR links than high PR links ,which looks more natural.
- The best part is, if a link falls off, it is automatically replaced with a comparable link using a feature we call “queue topping”. This feature keeps your link electricity flowing.
Creating a Link Queue:
- Click on My Content Link Ads in the side navigation.
- Find the link ad you wish to work with and click the “Queue Links” button.
- If you wish, you may enter a Keyword and your links will only be placed on pages that contain this word, but we recommend selecting a category instead. That way, there is a lot more relevant inventory.
NOTE: You must enter either a keyword or a category, but you may choose to enter both.
- Then, select the minimum and maximum pagerank of the web pages on which you want your links.
- Next, enter the total number of links you wish to create.Notice that the system will automatically calculate your Estimated Cost, so you can make adjustments to your Minimum and Maximum PageRank and the total number of links.The Estimated cost is calculated based on the Smart PageRank Distribution Method. For more information on this, check out our link queue video tutorial.
- Then, select whether you want your links to be placed all-at-once, daily, or weekly.
- If you select daily or weekly, you will be asked to enter the number of links you wish to place each day or each week.So, let’s say, you want to create a total of 50 links, but you want to grow your portfolio slowly over 10 days, you would enter 50 for the total number of links, select daily, and enter 5 for the number of links per period.
- You may also choose to specify a maximum budget. If you enter a maximum budget, the queue will run until either all of the links are placed or your maximum budget is reached, whichever comes first.
- When you are finished, click the “Place Links” button.If you do not have enough credits to cover the estimated cost of the queue, you will be taken to the Buy Credits page. You can either purchase your credits now, or click the link to return to your Content Link Ads.Your link queue will automatically start running, the next time you purchase credits.